Hurricane Preparation Kit - Suggested Items
- Water - 1 gallon per person for 7 days
- Non-perishable food - enough for 7 days
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- First Aid Kit
- Extra Batteries
- Whistle to signal for help
- Moist towlettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Cellphone with charges and backup battery
- Prescription medications - suggested 30 day supply
- Nonprescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids, or laxitives
- Glasses and contact lens solution
- Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes, and diaper rash cream
- Pet food and extra water for your pet(s)
- Cash or traveler's checks
- Important family documents (ie insurance policies, identification and bank account records) saved electronically or in a waterproof, portable container
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
- Complete change of clothing appropriate for climate and sturdy shoes
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil or pen
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
- Red Cross - 1-800-733-2767
- Coast Guard - 281-464-4852
- CenterPoint (to report outages) - 713-207-2222
- Donations Management - 1-800-924-5985
- Volunteering - 281-656-1533
Greater Harris County 9-1-1
For 30 years GHC 9-1-1 has made it its mission to ensure that anyone, at anytime, in any place, using any device shall be able to reach emergency services. This year they are rolling out the new Emergency Notification System (ENS.) This is a voluntary alert system that will notify residents of events that could threaten lives, property, or could be dangerous. Previously, only landlines were eligible to receive notifications, but with the new ENS cell and Internet phones can now be contacted. For more information or to register, click on the link below to visit the GHC 9-1-1 home page.
2-1-1 Texas is a free help line answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. 2-1-1 Texas is connected to nearly every service in the state, including government agencies, food pantries, career services, after-school programs, counseling services and many other state and local resources. During any statewide disaster response, a special Option Number 4 is activated to point callers directly to disaster-related information. When Option Number 4 is activated for disaster response, that is the first option that the caller hears.
For more information on Texas 2-1-1, visit the Texas 2-1-1 website.
Texas Divison of Emergency Management
The Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) coordinates the state emergency management program, which is intended to ensure the state and its local governments respond to and recover from emergencies and disasters, and implement plans and programs to help prevent or lessen the impact of emergencies and disasters.
TDEM implements programs to increase public awareness about threats and hazards, coordinates emergency planning, provides an extensive array of specialized training for emergency responders and local officials, and administers disaster recovery and hazard mitigation programs in the State of Texas.
For more information, visit the Texas Division of Emergency Management website.
Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management
The City of Southside Place actively works with the Harris County Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management to help prepare, safeguard and protect the residents and property of Southside Place from the effects of disasters through effective planning, preparation, response and recovery activities.
Harris County Homeland Security and Emergency Management
The Regional Joint Information Center (JIC) is your best source fore timely and accurate information when emergency conditions exist in the greater Harris County area. Please visit their site for more information on how to prepare for any event.
Regional Joint Information Center